Wednesday 8 November 2023

Suitcase of Memories

Transit to London this morning was smooth, the train trip only about 40 minutes. I did pay extra for first class, in the expectation that I would get a cup of tea and a biscuit, but no tea trolly eventuated. London is immediately recognisable. The red buses, the black cabs, the architecture and the bustle of a one of the world’s great cities. It made me happy. I think enjoying travel comes from finding the perfect mix of the interest in the new and different, coupled with just enough of the familiar and comforting. I took a black cab to the Savoy, my home for the next four days. This is the second time I’ve stayed here, and the seamless welcome reminded me why I returned. It’s such an impressive hotel with next-level friendly service and a beautiful fit out. I had two complementary champagnes in the lounge while my room was being sorted. 

Lunch was an experience. I had chosen “Sketch”, a newish, instagram friendly restaurant in Mayfair. The food was outstanding and the decor really unique and fun. The photos don’t convey the whole atmosphere. Highly recommend. 




I walked back to the hotel after lunch along Regent St - the “mile of style” high end shopping strip. In contrast to the vibrancy of Sketch, all the clothing in the windows seemed to be black, white, grey or neutral. Most of the shops were empty of customers and I wonder about the revenue vs rent equation. A quiet afternoon and a quick toastie for dinner provided quality down time before a big day tomorrow. 



3 comments:

  1. Nice !👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t forget to pick up a Large Liverpool Away jersey with “Szoboszlai 8” printed on the back for your favourite son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That restaurant fitout is mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete