Friday 10 November 2023

Pure Imagination

After a cheapie breakfast at Pret I walked it off with an hour trek  to buy a customised Liverpool strip for Cam. Liverpool was Jason’s  favourite team and it was a bit of an emotional walk back to the hotel. I then caught a cab to my morning destination, Sir John Soane’s house/museum. This turned out to be one of the favourite parts of my  trip. John Soane was a 19th century architect. He demolished three houses and rebuilt all three to accommodate a house, a studio and a space for his incredible collection of historical artefacts. The house itself was spectacular - light wells that go from five stories up right down to the basement, coloured glass and beautiful spaces. I also loved the contents  including the sarcophagus of Seti I and hundreds of statues , bits of marble and artwork. He was a magpie collector. I was imagining how beneficial it would have been for his students to work surrounded by all of the beautiful inspiration although I’m wondering why some of the pieces have not been reclaimed by the original countries of origin. Sir John gave his property to the nation as a gift on the proviso that nothing was changed - the property was to be opened “as is” with free entrance. I wonder if he foresaw how much enjoyment future generations would derive from experiencing and admiring his creativity.




 For lunch I took the opportunity to try Gordon Ramsay’s “Street Burger” restaurant. He claims they are the best burgers in the world. Hmmm. Not bad, and some creative options (Butter chicken burger with chill lime pickle) but I’m not sure they are the best in the world. 

I went to see Matilda in the afternoon. Great show with a quality set and excellent casting. Lots of fun. I had equal enjoyment people watching all the small children in the audience. Since it was the matinee, the place was as packed with kids and I could hear from the discussions around me that it was a first theatre experience for a number of them. I love that even though Britain is struggling economically, people are still willing to spend on the arts. 





2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, wonderful story, great photos,house sounds spectacular. Good work too commandeering strangers to take some photos of you in wonderful locations. So happy you went to Mathilda, have you seen it elsewhere? I saw it in Perth with Buzzies sister Terri during that Prietto/Welch trip to Perth in 2017. it would have been a treat to see it in London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering if you have run across any small house or garden ideas that might be accommodated at Regent Street.

    ReplyDelete