Wednesday 8 November 2023

Empirical exploration.

I woke early and walked up the street for a coffee, spotting a fox in the process. I believe they are quite common in the city but I was really surprised to see one. 


Breakfast was at my favourite Indian restaurant, Dishoom. It’s a must visit place for me every time I’m in the UK. I had  a sausage with chilli jam wrapped in a naan, washed down with a spicy chai tea. So good. The Indian cusine in London is amazing, no doubt due to the long association with Britain. 


I then embarked on a history immersion day, with a badged British tour guide, Alexandra. We spent most of the morning in the Winston Churchill War rooms (very well done). His influence and impact on England’s success in WW2 is so significant and I loved all the exhibits and the stories. I’m only sorry I didn’t get a photo of the velvet onesie that he wore. The War rooms visit was followed by a walk around St James. The ability of my guide to identify specific interests, coupled with deep knowledge of the area made it a fascinating day. Below are the “last” for making Queen Victoria’s shoes at Lobb’s, the Enigma machine at the War Rooms (Turing, by the way was from Kings College at Cambridge) and some shots from Berry and Rudd, a wine merchant that started in the 18th century. So much history of the British Empire. 




I sat in the American Bar at the Savoy for a drink (only two in deference to my budget) before a reprise at Dishoom for dinner.  



No comments:

Post a Comment