Sunday 5 November 2023

Part of your world

Friday was a travel day, to my second destination on this trip, Cambridge. Having completed an online course here in 2022, I was keen to explore it in person, hopefully with proper access as an alumna. It’s Guy Fawkes night, a fact I know after hearing a hilarious advert on the radio for the BBC who will be playing “soothing music for pets while the fireworks are on”.

I arrived in the afternoon with enough time for a reconnaissance around the colleges, some of which I did in fact have access to. Here’s Trinity from the inside: 



The history is palpable, and it’s odd to realise that some of the “stories” that we grow up with are about actual places. Here’s a graft from the apple tree that dropped the apple inspiring Newton’s work on gravity. Also visible are the ubiquitous bicycles - students in Cambridge are not allowed to bring their cars to the city. 



The allure of Cambridge is more than academic prestige; I feel like it represents a culture that cherishes intellectual curiosity and critical thinking. I’m imagining scholarly discussions and vibrant academic communities and am so envious of the immersive experience that the students here have. I suspect the reality is somewhat different, but I still yearn for an education that transcends the ordinary. Whilst having a few drinks at Parker’s Tavern (and also an excellent dinner) I’ve resolved to explore residential courses at Cambridge and Oxford. for 2024. Fireworks tonight were audible but not visible from my room and it was a bit too cold and rainy to venture out. Here are a few shots of the bicycles, which are everywhere. 




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos. The idyllic image of being a student at one of these Universities does get a bit trashed in British TV series like Lewis, but the photos alone are awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete