Wednesday 1 November 2023

All through the night

The sun is not quite awake yet and I’m enroute to Heathrow via Sydney & Perth. There are a number of practical, logical reasons for the trip : I had an expiring Qantas credit, I go somewhere every year, I need to use up some of my annual leave…… but in truth I’m running away. Away from the year that’s been, from Jason’s death and his approaching birthday, from the weight of being a sole parent, from the myriad of decisions required for the new house, from the car accident, the fire at work and from myself. I’m also running “To”. To exploration, to experiences that enrich and engage my curious mind, to my happy place- travel. I’m ready to recharge, reset and renew. Sitting in the Qantas lounge, I reflected on the last time I traveled to the UK. It was in the middle of Covid lockdowns and the greater world, as well as my personal world was a different place. This current world feels back to “normal” although service levels are mixed and it feels like some cost saving shortcuts have lived-on after the pandemic restrictions. That being said, with a few champagnes onboard, it was a smooth, pleasant flight to WA for my first leg, with excellent service from an experienced flight crew. Perth is not the most inspiring airport, and the flight was delayed a few hours, boarding at well past my bedtime. In one of Quantas's few postive moves this year, they’ve installed a yoga room in the lounge. (see photo). It’s kitted out really nicely. When I arrived there was a continuous loop televised stretching class, later a live session that went for about 15 minutes. I felt great afterwards, but it was 11.00pm EST before I boarded the plane and midnight when we were finally in the air. My birthday incidentally, so I had a champagne before a much needed snooze.

4 comments:

  1. I have so much respect for you honesty and your ability to approach problems from alternate and creative angles. Take care. Best wishes Stuart Priestley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday šŸŽ‰! Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and hugs take a deep breath and enjoy your most deserving holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine Prietto4 November 2023 at 18:03

    Just catching up after a lost week for me, I have just read these three posts to Dad in a row so we could share them. Not sure at what stage the first post came together but thanks for sharing with those who love you.

    ReplyDelete