Tuesday 16 July 2024

Memories are made of this

We head off today to Italy. This is a trip of many parts. It’s an adventure - a wonderful time exploring and discovering. It’s family time - extended family. There are a LOT of us on this excursion, but more about that later. It’s normality- back (after a Covid hiatus) to the annual overseas trip we’ve done every year since that very first one back in 2011. That leads me the final part of this trip- it’s a pilgrimage. Italy was our first overseas holiday as a family back in 2011 when the boys were 7, 9 and 11. The thought of going back again without Jase has made me pretty fragile this week and I’m sure there will be a few emotional moments and memories on the journey. 

We’ve been talking about a family holiday for about a year but it was difficult to pin down team Starrett due to Uni and social schedules. Once we had decided on Italy, things seemed to fall into place and the guest list started to expand. I’m bemused but delighted to be team leading a group of nine. As well as myself and the boys, we have Flynn’s girlfriend Eve, my mother, my niece Benedicte (my sister Kate’s daughter), and my sister-in-law Amanda (Jason’s sister) with her husband Richard. 


Team Starrett is now adult and managed their own packing. Well…perhaps. They still sought some parental input to help with questions like: 

“What do I need to bring that I wouldn’t have thought of” (my suggestion of swimmers was well received)

“What food can I bring on the plane”

“How many days till we do laundry”

Two of our party, who will remain nameless actually thought we were leaving yesterday, with one of them packed waiting for a car pick up. I had a text check in this morning from one relaxed traveller - did I have his passport. I’m not sure what would have happened if I said no.  Anyway the extended team Starrett is on our way to Bella Italia. More soon. 





4 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time ✈️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Italy! I’m sure Jason will be cheering you on knowing you are living life large ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy and fly safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh goody! Can’t wait to follow your blogs!

    ReplyDelete